Tuesday 18 May 2021

Transformative Journal (TAI CHIN YEE S2029310/1)

 GIG1005 Social Engagement

Name

TAI CHIN YEE

Matric Number

S2029310/1

 

Transformative Journal

First and foremost, I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to our supervisor, Dr. Ong Lin Dar who had guided us throughout this project. Also, I would like to thank my group members for giving support and aids to carry out this project. Without my supervisor and group members, this activity cannot be conducted and carried out successfully, and I would not experience this memorable activity.

Before

At the earlier stage of planning, we initially planned to conduct a webinar about business ethics for the community of Matriculation students in order to raise their awareness towards business ethics, which is beneficial for their future careers. After meeting with our supervisor, Dr. Ong Lin Dar, followed by careful planning of the activities involved, my group members and I ended up with add on the topic of corporate governance and change our community to all accounting students. For this, I personally would like to thank Dr. Ong for the suggestions that she gave us, which is to add on the topic of corporate governance because without it, this project would not run smoothly. From Dr. Ong, I have also learned that we need to have long-term thinking, and we should not let short-term thinking hurt long-term success. As my teammates and I keep thinking that business ethics is an easy topic but ignore the fact that business ethics is only a small topic, and it would not be sufficient for us to use that topic to conduct the whole project. In the planning phase, I have also impressed by my team leader, Tan San Yee. Her organization skills and time management are really well, and she always takes the first step to get things done, this spirit has led me to move forward throughout the process of planning this activity. I also believed that this would help me to adjust my attitude towards learning and work in the future.

Furthermore, while we are preparing for our live session, I also worried about the number of participants as our expected number of participants is 50 people. Therefore, in order to promote our event to more accounting students, except for using our blog, I have collaborated with my group members to use our own social media account to promote our activity, and thus the number of participants have reached our target and even exceed it with a total of 52 people that have registered for our events. By doing this, I have learned the importance of teamwork as everyone needs to pay their efforts in order to make this project successful. All in all, during this stage, I have learned the importance of work in groups and plan management.

During

During the implementation stage, we have designed 2 posters/infographics and took 1 awareness video as well as 2 pre-recorded videos prior to our live session. For me, I am the person in charge of designing the poster/infographics. Through this, I have also learned how to use Canva to design creative artworks as previously I only used Adobe Photoshop to design the artworks. This experience is very beneficial to me as I can utilize these soft skills in my future.

In addition, as our activities are revolved the professional knowledge, at that time, I am also quite worried that the unprofessional speaking and writing etiquette will affect our professionalism and cause the community to come under question about our contents. Therefore, I have also learned how to maintain my professionalism when I am communicating or writing an email to the participants as an organizer or a speaker throughout the activity. Moreover, in our training session, as I am the speaker in charge of the Q&A session, I am very grateful that most of the participants are very active in asking the questions. In my point of view, I think this is because the participants have paid their attention to listen to our content, thereby they have the queries. Not only that, in the process of conducting the Q&A sessions, I really learned how to give an effective presentation and become more comfortable when speaking in public. This definitely helps me to boost my self-confidence to present in front of people, which I think will be very beneficial for my future not only in the university but also in the workplace.

After

Ultimately, we had successfully completed the project even when faced with the ongoing pandemic that had caused plenty of difficulties for us to conduct an online activity. Although our live session was only two hours; however, I am very grateful that our plan has gone smoothly. Besides, I also feel grateful and appreciated my teammates' encouragement as they are willing to utilize my design of the awareness infographic, promotional poster, backdrop, and opening backdrop in this activity. To be honest, the results we achieved were commendable and impressive and made me incredibly proud as well as the content. By doing this project, it had exposed me to a broader business world and taught me the importance and the relationship between corporate governance and business ethics in an organization. I believe that this activity will help to advocate and promote the ethical standards by which corporate professionals must operate.

To conclude, the biggest lesson I gained from this activity is the professional knowledge about corporate governance and business ethics. In the future, I will also practice professional accountability and uphold their personal integrity to society when I get into the workplace. Besides, I have also learned how to overcome obstacles by keeping a positive mindset in running projects as we are all struggling with our assignments at that time, but none of us have complained about it. Thus, I hope the spirit and objectives of our project can continue to implement in the future in order to raise awareness of the community towards corporate governance and business ethics. For me, I will also involve and engage in these kinds of projects again in the future if I am given an opportunity to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transformative Journal (Tan San Yee U2003081)

  GIG 1005 Social Engagement   Name TAN SAN YEE Matric Number U2003081/1 Transformative Journal Before   First of all, I am very grateful to...