Monday 17 May 2021

Transformative Journal (Teh Kuan You U2003293)

 GIG1005 Social Engagement

Name

TEH KUAN YOU

Matric Number

U2003293


Transformative Journal

Before

            To be honest, I had no idea about this course, Social Engagement when I was first knowing that it will be the compulsory university course to be taken in my Semester 2. There are a lot of questions in my mind but no information about this course until the beginning of semester. I wonder who will be my lecturer, which occurrence should I choose, what should I do and what would I gain from this course. Finally, I got my answer from our coordinator, Dr. Dalilawati Zainal in week 2 and further understanding on the project from our supervisor, Dr. Ong Lin Dar. I appreciate them for spending time to organize meeting, brief us the information and guide us step by step along the implementation of our project. Social Engagement provides every university student an opportunity to practice their communication, teamwork and leadership skill as well as contribute what they had earned to the community by organizing a project beneficial to a specific community. My first thought of the project was a chance to enlighten and inspire my accounting juniors just like what my senior had given to me. I hope that this contribution from a senior to his or her junior will be a non-stop tradition in our accounting course that never come to an end. However, as a quiet and introvert person, it would be a great challenge for me to speak out my opinion in the discussion when I’m not knowing them well. Fortunately, they gave me a very good first impression that had calm me down from a nervous as they are very friendly, talkative and smiling. Our meeting always conducted under a low pressure where everyone talk to each other like chatting with friends.

 

During

            We had decided to present “Corporate Governance and Ethics” as the topic of our project although none of us had read about the topic. The topic was suggested by Dr. Ong and chosen by us because it would be a very useful information and knowledge when we are connecting to the real world of accounting professions in the future. I had no complained or regret for our decision when we need to spend extra time to research and study on the topic because it is a rewarding process to us. Throughout the project, I would say that my main task was editing the video other than presenting and creating the slide. I had volunteered for the task as I am interested and intended to improve my video editing skill. Previous experience and knowledge do not satisfy my desire to make a better quality video because there is still a large space or opportunity for me to enhance myself. The greatest result I gained from this task is the varies resources to obtain difference kind of opening footage, font and music from the Internet. On the other hand, I think that our group leader, San Yee had performed the role model of leadership during the implementation stage. She had always prepared well before our meeting by stating the point to discuss, distributing task among members, reminding us our responsibilities and motivating us to succeed the project. Her hardworking brought us effective and efficient discussion and it was indispensable for the completing of our project. Moreover, the poster and infographic presented in our project had amazed me with the attractive design and plentitude information only on one picture. The posters had played a vital role in our promoting stage to attract the attention of participants included me. It encouraged me to grab the opportunity of studying and trying designing in the future.

 

After

            In overall, the most meaningful experience I had gained during the project was uploading video to the YouTube. I had edited several videos even before I had been matriculated by the university but this was my first experience to manage a YouTube channel. I faced few difficulties during the process such as copyright of music, over length of video and scheduling of time public. I managed to discover the solutions by spending own effort searching on the Internet and trying for several methods with hour by hour. Besides that, it is proved that soft skill is important for every group member in this project. The soft skill includes interpersonal skill, communication skill, personality traits, attitude and mindset of a person which help him or her to work and perform well in achieving a team goal. I feel that the experience of collaboration with others in this project increases my soft skill by having more communication and interaction with my team members no matter it is face-to-face or non-face-to-face. Another personal acquisition from this project is the confident to speak in front of people. The most terrible is not giving a public speaking to strangers but a self-denial on our capability that cause to unconfident. Moreover, I had found out my weakness such as pronunciation problem and careless through the implementation of project and try to correct as well as improve myself from the mistake. This project provides me a chance to practice time management by distributing time to maintain my academic at the same time conduct an event. After lots of advantages I received from the project, there is no argument that I would like to engage myself in community activities in the future. I would be apologetic for the coming year fresh blood if they have no opportunity to learn through the “Social Engagement” course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transformative Journal (Tan San Yee U2003081)

  GIG 1005 Social Engagement   Name TAN SAN YEE Matric Number U2003081/1 Transformative Journal Before   First of all, I am very grateful to...